How to Get Into and Survive Film, Advertising and TV Post-production – The Alternative Guide
Ok, so you have seen these Nuke Breakdowns and think the glamour of Hollywood awaits you…well then…
2. Still keen? Then check the core skills in VFX. You never know, there may be a CG artist hiding in you instead.
3. Ok, so compositing it is! Then Compositing Visual Effects Essentials for the Aspiring Artist is your next read.
4. Master the core skills, including this one, by either – a) attending a classroom course b) taking an online course c) by doing it yourself (through free tutorials and books) or d) by becoming a runner.
5. Check out Nuke Compositing Showreels by the students of major Compositing Schools. Now you know what your goal is.
6. Master the entry level skills – roto, paint, tracking, keying, colour correction and junior level compositing.
7. To be honest – the advice on how to get into the industry (and survive it!) is in my book (it took a year to write, a year to trim down and a year to make it funny!).
8. And of course you can always ask me questions here before the next book comes out.
Actually that’s not fair. Just because I am using Nuke it doesn’t mean you have to. You may want to use another compositing tool like Smoke which is also free to download at the moment. Smoke tutorials are here.
10. Hasta la Vista baby…in Hollywood, of course! Or Bollywood (The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel hopefully).